god's country

god's country
near carrick-a-rede

Sunday 3 January 2010

knitting chicken


As promised here is the link to the free knitting pattern that I used for my scarf - it's a fantastic website with hundreds of free patterns, you have to have an account to access the patterns but they don't charge you any money and they don't fill your inbox with junk - so well worth it!

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/81054AD.html?noImages=

I was however, a bit of a chicken with this pattern...

I had never knit a cable before, and it seemed a bit simple to be true so I wasn't up for spending quite so much on the wool as suggested.

For my variation of this scarf I used:
* 2.5 100g balls of a chunky weight fluffy wool that I bought at a charity store

I knit the pattern as directed with size 10mm needles and 2 strands held together (I don't want to scare anyone but the pattern was wanting 8 strands held together and there was just no WAY i was carrying 8 balls of wool + unfinished scarf on the bus to work every day!) I had a few problems with the instructions for the cable because it has the instruction the opposite way round from the pattern - just watch out!

this scarf knitted up VERY quickly - or rather it would have done if i hadn't hidden it in the cupboard for about 2 months.

Good luck to anyone who is going to try it out - i cant wait to get started on my next project which is a big floppy hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment